Getting Started With Power Content
This article provides general information about Power Content as a tool for developing, maintaining, and managing websites, as well as its concepts, the reasons behind creating it, and general best practices for using it.
See Power Content on the Joomla! Extensions Directory
Topics that will be covered in this article:
- What is Power Content?
- Key Features
- Why choosing Power Content over other content extensions?
What is Power Content?
Power Content is a CCK (Content Construction Kit) extension for the Joomla! CMS. It has been designed especially for developers, web masters, SEO experts, web designers, and clients. It aims to be the most Powerful, Flexible, and Easy-to-use of all other Content Extensions available for Joomla, paid or free.
Power Content has been developed as a personal contribution to the *AMAZING* community of Joomla, and in order to help users take their websites to the next level. Power Content has no competition in terms of possibilities, features, flexibility, simplicity and performance.
Because Power Content is a personal contribution, it is completely FREE, and will always stay free. In addition, the project is extremely active and 100% supported, new features are being added every month. Power Content is also HIGHLY documented (definitely the most documented content extension), with a wide range of documentation levels. Developers can find code examples and API explanations, while clients and webmasters can find every possible feature, function or option this awesome system has to offer.
As we all know - Joomla may definitely be the most powerful and flexible CMS in the world, but it also has many flaws. Here is where Power Content comes into play. The general concept behind it is to simply make Joomla websites development, maintenance, and management an easy and fast thing to do, almost no matter the size of the website or its required features.
Heads up! As a leading concept, Power Content will show its true powers for people who actually write code, even only HTML and a little CSS. It features an extremely powerful Themes Engine that enables you to create your own layouts and display everything however and wherever you wish. But, it offers a lot for people who don’t touch code as well.
Power Content does everything that other CCK extensions do, only much more, better and in a simpler manner.
Powerful & Flexible Themes Engine - Create your own specific and / or shared layouts for every type of record, as well as your own parameters, with an extremely easy GUI interface.
Diverse Content Fields (Custom / Extra Fields) - Extremely powerful custom fields engine providing you with over 15 built-in types of fields that are completely integrated with Power Content in all manners. Fields can be repeatable (making it extremely easy to extend your websites), and can appear on any type of record - Items, Categories, Authors, Tags and more.
Drag & Drop Media Manager - Completely integrated with the custom fields, Text Editors, and other parts of Power Content. The media manager lets you manage, sort, add, delete, change, preview and more, extremely easily and productively, directly from your editing pages.
Built-In Powerful Search Engine - Supporting advanced filtering for your items, allow "Live" search with AJAX technology.
Multiple Categories For a Single Item - We can finally assign a single item to as many categories as we want!
Many-to-many tagging system - Better, more flexible and far more powerful than anything you've seen before.
Unlimited Nested Categories - Create endless sub categories and structure your website however you want.
Extremely Easy SEO Management - Not only does Power Content have a dedicated admin view for SEO, where you can see and edit your whole websites titles, descriptions, robots, OG:IMAGE and more, It also has an Automatic SEO feature to make SEO Management much more easier, as well as a dedicated Custom Field to insert Head Tags such as Canonical, Analytics, Facebook Pixel and more, directly to all / specific pages - without any coding.
3 Types of Pagination Systems - Standard (arrows and numbers), Load More Button and Infinite Scroll (like Facebook) features.
Perfect Routing Engine - Finally a solution to the Joomla routing engine! No more duplicated pages, no more surprising 404 errors. And perhaps the most helpful feature of Power Content's Router: We finally don't need to open a menu item for each and every little page we want to display on our website!
API For Developers - Powerful methods, classes and traits designed specifically to help developers enhance the core features of Power Content.
Extendable Plugins System & Plugins API - Extend Power Content forms, add tabs with your own forms to Power Content. Extend * ANY PART * of Power Content with more than 10 events available.
Live Comments Engine - AJAX live commenting system with deep spam filtering features, as well as Google's 'I'm not a bot' CAPTCHA. The commenting system that allows commenting replies! You can finally let your users actually discuss rather than simply comment. In addition, you can choose to receive notifications when a user comments on your items.
Highly Enhanced and Easy-to-use Text Editor - A super powerful built-in text editor which is also extremely simple and easy-to-use. Completely integrated with Power Content's Media Manager and Links Manager. Built-In features to embed videos (Visually) from YouTube, Vimeo and other sources, as well as loading modules directly in the text editor. And on top of all that - the text editor will CLEAN your content when pasting from external sources like other websites or Word documents allowing your websites to keep their format, and preventing your clients from ruining your hard work!
Complete Pages Preview - A complete Preview solution, allowing you to see the * Entire Page * before you publish it.
And a LOT (A WHOLE LOT) more awesome features and possibilities that are just waiting to be used!
Why choose Power Content over other content extensions?
There are five main reasons for choosing Power Content over, for example, K2, Flexi Content or Seblod:
- Performance: Power Content websites performance is legendary fast. I have developed the exact same website with the exact same features and the same content and media both with Power Content and with another,
one of the most popular CCK extension in Joomla (for privacy and respect, i won't include its name). After a modest optimization, the other CCK's website was loaded in 2.7 seconds while Power Content’s website
was loaded in 0.8 seconds. Both tests happened on the exact same website, on the exact same host and terms, and from the exact same source. In Google Page Speed score, the site built with the other CCK scored 75 web and 71
mobile while the Power Content's website scored 100 web and 98 mobile. The mentioned website is: www.flippo.xyz, and you can test it yourself if you wish.
- Built-in Features – Power Content has WAY more built-in features, out of the box, than any other CCK. It basically does everything that any other CCK does but more, easier, and better.
- Ease of Use – Developers, web designers, web masters, SEO experts, and clients, it’s just so easy to achieve what you want. In development or management, UX was a priority from day one.
- Super Powerful Custom Fields – Power Content’s custom fields can be placed anywhere: on categories, on authors, on items, on items by categories on tags. It has 15 types of custom fields to cover any possible need. In addition, fields can be repeatable, which means that you can define any group of fields and let your clients or yourself add more just by clicking a + button, right from the page you are creating/editing. With this, you can say goodbye to most of your extensions since you can easily create galleries, sliders, forms, carousels, popups, and entire sections and pages just with this feature alone
- Power Content Is Highly Documented - As opposed to many other CCK extensions, Power Content is highly documented; almost anything in the system is explained right here. In the future, there will also be full tutorials and how-to videos on creating many types of websites and web applications.
- Plugins API - Power Content features an incredibly strong plugins API that enables developers to extend any part of the CCK, authors, tags, items, categories, comments, config, and more. The API is extremely simple to use. Adding fields and tabs to record happens almost automatically. In the "Plugins API" section of the documentation, you will be able to download a sample plugin.
- It’s Free and Will Always Be Free – The Joomla Project and community gave me so much knowledge, skills, friends, partners, my incomes, and much, much more. Power Content is both my baby and my personal contribution to the Joomla world. It is completely free and completely supported by me, and it will always stay that way.